first review

By 6:07 AM , , , , ,

Note: This page is still under revamp, but I've decided to do some reviews with a couple crap quality photos. Unfortunately, because I am overseas this year, Jiji-sama isn't able to give me her personal opinions, but she's right there on facebook!

I would also like to note that I will be reviewing on anything that I find exceptional or completely unexceptional. Works for when you go to the Asian store and buy random things. ;) But, everyone is different, and these are only reviews for what works or does not work for me. Be alert for any allergies you might have before buying anything you might want here, and get to know how your own body reacts to different products.
Panadol Cold and Flu Ginger Drink ★★★★☆
This worked wonderfully for when I had an aching body, a running nose, watery eyes, congestion, all those usual cold symptoms. I drank this before bed, and it made me sweat it out during the night. I felt an immediate relief the next day. The taste is also semi-sweet and very light, not at all like those NiQuil medicines with extremely accentuated tastes. Four stars because I really only took this once. Not sure if it'll work the second time?

TianTianMeiLi Microderm Whitening Beauty Mask ★★★☆☆
I was surprised when I opened a pack. I was expecting one of those paper masks that you peel off and put on your face. When I cut it the bag open, it was a thick white cream! It goes on well and sticks, no clumping. I left it on for about 20 minutes, and I did see clearer skin. I even got comments from my classmates the next day that I seemed to have gotten a lot whiter. This product gets minus points because the container makes it hard for you to get the cream out and on your face without making a mess. As a side note, this is not a bleaching product. And you might ask, "what??? Whiter skin? WTF? I want a tan!" You have to remember that every culture has its own beauty definition, and in Asia, healthy, glowing white skin (not dead ghost white) represents wealth because you never have to work in the sun. Construction workers or people with 'lower class' jobs tend to have dark skin because they work outside all day, and especially in Taiwan, the sun is so hot that you will have no problem getting a tan in an hour. If you follow this trend, don't just buy any whitening product, or think that cheap is bad and expensive is good. This is often not the case. You have to get to know the key ingrediants. Skin whitening is sometimes dangerous (you do't want to end up looking like Michael Jackson). Some products contain mercury, but this is very rare. Based on my own research, I find these ingrediants to work very well and tend to be quite safe:
Kojic acid: used to lighten skin in Japan and is found in tyrosinase inhibitor
Licorice extract: absorbs UVA and UVB rays (depigmenting agents)
Aloe vera: absorbs UV light
Octyl-p-methoxycinnamate: this is a sunscreen; absorbs and prevents UV
Octysalicylate: salt from wintergreen leaves and is a sunscreen
Oxybenzone: sunscreen chemical that absorbs UVA rays
Hydroquinone: skin bleach; intended to fade age (INTERACTS WITH BENZOYL PEROXIDE)
DO NOT USE: asorbic acid, mercury, eldopaque forte, eldoquin-forte sunbleaching, esteria facial, melquin HP, nuquin HP, or solaquin
Hofuito Whitening Mask: ★☆☆☆☆
I bought this mask when I first arrived in Taiwan being overwhelmed by the amount of selections on beauty products. I didn't do any research about this stuff first, nor did I know any Chinese, so I just bought it because it was cheaper and said 'whitening mask' in English. This product doesn't do anything. I didn't notice any whitening, not even any moisturizing. The mask was also so huge and dripping wet, you'd have to be a head the size of Texas.
Pore Peeling Tsururi (German clay, activated carbon, black pepper) ★★★☆☆
The texture is a sandy white gel with black beads. It smells amazing too. This product really doesn't pull out your blackheads like it says it would (you put on a thin layer, wait for it to dry, and peel it off). I also had a bit of a tough time peeling because it came off in almost flakes. BUT I was very satisfied with how much it shrank the pores on my nose. I'd like to try this again, but haven't gotten around to it. I would say this is a good product, but it's a little too expensive. I don't think I would buy it again if it's not on sale (390NT).
TianTianMeiLi Charcoal Whitening Mask ★★★★☆
I got this on sale for only 99NT. It had some essential ingrediants and was fairly simple. The mask is a paper mask that fits perfectly on my face (all faces are different, nothing wrong with any of them ^^). I left it on for about 25 minutes while in the bath, and it really took off the dead skin cells, leaving a soft, white new skin! I got many comments the next day about how my skin was glowing and healthy looking (minus the acnes I got while in Taiwan )=) But still be careful about these whitening products. Don't use this more than once a week.
Biore Black Head Peel (for nose) ★★★★★
This was GREAT. The price is good too (89NT). It works like all blackhead peelers but it really does pull out all the blackheads, and you can see it on the peel after you rip it off your nose. (I peeled slowly starting from the edges to the middle instead of one fast pull.) My nose was completely clear after I used this, but I've yet to find out how to prevent new blackheads from coming. Don't use this on your face though (cheeks or chin) because it doesn't work. That's why it says "for nose".
Nexcare Acne Spot Healing ★★★☆☆
How does this work? If you have a pimple, acne, or small blemish, you place these skin colored circles (they come in different sizes) on the problem area and just go out. It's supposed to be invisible. I think it's a lot more noticeable than the pimple. LOL. But the first time I used this on a pimple, it worked spectaculary! In 2 hours it really did go away!!! I tried another but then that one didn't work. Not sure why yet.
Hungarian White Rose Mask ★★☆☆☆
This was a good moisturizing mask. It makes the skin a lot softer after you put the mask on (and massage your face gently with clean fingers). But there was nothing special about it, no scent in particular, but for some people that's a plus.
Well, that was my first (quick) review! I'm forgot to mention things like texture, appearance, scent, and price. But next time! Hahahaha... enjoy life!!

You Might Also Like

0 comments